Sunday, September 5, 2010

My Favourite Story - What makes a good story?

As I reflected over our short story unit, my favourite story would be "Lamb to the Slaughter." Mostly because the story spoke to me, I liked how the reader knew what was going on but the characters didn't. It feels like you are part of the story and you know the whole backstory to it. I also liked how we studied the characteristics of characters and we discussed Mary Maloney's characteristics. When we started the story seemed like a normal story where the man leaves the woman. But as we progressed through the story and we rose up in the plot map, to the turning point things changed drastically. She killed him! Sweet Mary Maloney killed her husband, and as we kept reading through the story we learned she was trying to find her identity. Which leads to theme, I like the idea that every story as a word behind the story, the true meaning. Personally I like reading, and this story was a nice little story, that spoke to me. :)


2 comments:

  1. Those are some of the things that I wrote. I think Roald Dahl did a fantastic job of creating Mary Maloney's character. She is just so obsessed and that made me want to know how that would be a problem later on in the story.
    Nice post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Nice Post!!! I totally agree, with the part where you said the reader knew what was happening when the character's did not!!!

    Awesome Post

    ReplyDelete